EARTHMOVER TYRE MISCONCEPTIONS
There are many misconceptions about (and much poor understanding of) mining tyre management, for example:
- Being unaware that tyre maintenance of mine equipment is ten times more likely to result in fatality than non-tyre maintenance of rubber tyred mining vehicles.
- Believing that hard (engineering) controls will compensate for inadequate tyre maintenance training and procedures or poor culture.
- Thinking that worn out tyres signify tyre life maximisation.
- Being reluctant to fit new tyres to the rear of haul trucks, unappreciative of the benefits this can deliver.
- Not understanding that poor roads result in haul truck damage (and reduced haulage productivity) cost several times that of tyre damage cost.
- Believing that TPMS (tyre pressure/temperature monitoring system) guarantees detection of a potential tyre explosion or fire.
- Mismanaging nitrogen inflation to the extent that the site might as well be inflating with air.
- Chasing haulage productivity ineffectively, and unsafely, in terms of tyre selection and operation.
- Being over-reliant on tyre companies for advice, notably compound selection.
- Using tyre warranty to seek compensation for poor tyre performance rather than adopting a tyre purchase system that incentivises each supplier to provide its optimum tyre specification up front.
- Being unaware of the criticality of using fitment rather than scrap period based analysis when evaluating and comparing tyre cost performance by brand and specification.
- Not understanding the adverse effect that biased fitment of new tyres by axle has on analysis results and purchasing decisions.
- Not appreciating the magnitude of money to be saved by matching the tyre specification to the operation.
- Giving mine maintenance rather than mine production overall responsibility for tyres.
Assign these misconceptions to the bin and realise substantial savings to your mining tyre operation.
For Any EM Tyre Solution We Are Available For You
OTR GLOBAL – Mining Tire Solutions is the leading EM tyre management consultancy worldwide. If you have a problem with any aspect of your OTR tyre operation, we can provide the solution – focused on minimising mine haulage TCO.